The ACCME offers employees the opportunity to contribute to the future of accredited continuing medical education.
ACCME seeks to recruit individuals who support the ACCME’s mission to identify, develop, and promote standards for quality continuing medical education that improves healthcare for patients and their communities. The ACCME is committed to providing a professional and positive work environment based on a model of quality assurance and continuous improvement. It offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, 401(k), flexible spending accounts, and more.
Career opportunities will be posted to this page as they become available.
The Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) is seeking a Vice President of Data and Information Systems. Based in our Downtown Chicago office and reporting to the Executive Vice President, this newly created position is the leader responsible for information technology strategy, and execution, for the ACCME. Building on past successes, this individual provides strategic direction and guidance in the development and implementation of all ACCME enterprise-wide solutions and information systems.
In support of the ACCME’s mission and goals, and working in collaboration with senior leadership, the Vice President of Data and Information Systems directs the development of the overall long range ACCME digital strategy and short-term strategy for systems development, hardware acquisition, software development, and integration, including networks, voice/telecommunications equipment and microcomputer applications. Through the assessment of current and future organizational goals, this position proactively responds and provides direction in areas of policy, security, and e-commerce relating directly to information systems to support the growth and success of the ACCME. The successful candidate will develop and maintain positive working relationships with wide-ranging groups of business and technical staff.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as the organization’s senior technology advisor, and a member of the ACCME’s senior management team.
- Responsible for the strategic direction and management of all systems infrastructure, enterprise storage, telecommunications, information security, and disaster recovery services to support the business operations and objectives across the organization.
- Develops and leads IT strategic and tactical planning for the ACCME. Plans and leads the future direction of IT and ensures delivery of high-quality service to support operations.
- Assures leading practices and approaches are utilized throughout the data collection lifecycle from application development, change management, data analysis, dissemination and support to position the ACCME to utilize leading edge technologies to serve our constituencies.
- Provides leadership and direction in developing long-range goals and strategic plans for the IT organization, including cloud strategy, application development and acquisition and management, vendor management, infrastructure management, security, risk management, business continuity staffing, and hardware strategies.
- Approves purchases of technological equipment and software within budgetary guidelines and establishes partnerships with IT suppliers.
- Analyzes the costs, value, and risks of information technology and suggests actions to advise the executive team, and inform ACCME’s budget.
- Leads a team of professional staff, providing management and coaching. Evaluates staffing needs, allocates resources effectively.
- Selects and evaluates vendors of information technology solutions. Oversees vendor performance, manages and builds vendor relationships.
- Architects a test-driven development (TDD) strategy and implements it across development teams.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems Management, Computer Science or related field is required. Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Healthcare Administration, or related graduate degree is preferred.
- 7 years progressive IT leadership experience, including software engineering management, product design/management, IT infrastructure, security, data pipelines and reporting.
- 4+ years of experience leading Angular-based development teams
- Significant experience on software development projects using open source and Python software; Development experience with open source and Python preferred.
- Significant experience deploying technologies and tools in support of data analytics.
- Significant experience with Django REST frameworks and Python-based microservices.
- Significant experience delivering in an Agile or other rapid-released environment.
- Significant experience with DevOps and CI/CD tools such as Jenkins or similar.
- Knowledgeable in HIPAA Compliance and GDPR.
- A progressive, visionary leader with significant experience in the development and execution of IT strategic plans.
- A record of effectively leading and facilitating change.
- Proven success in a leadership role in a complex educational or healthcare organization.
- A strategic leader who can establish an inspiring vision for IT and who is committed to growing and developing staff.
- A driven leader who demonstrates a team-oriented and collaborative approach in working closely with IT, other departments, leadership, and outside organizations and individuals.
- An effective communicator with strong interpersonal skills.
- A confident manager with strong coaching skills to nurture the development of staff into accomplished leaders.
- A change agent who can take necessary risks and effectively lead the change process with sensitivity to its potential impact on the IT department, its culture, and individual staff members; who recognizes the value in what the IT department has accomplished and builds upon its strengths rather than making sweeping changes.
- An individual of the highest integrity with high levels of energy, maturity, and flexibility.
- A builder of relationships; a developer and promoter of the strengths of colleagues.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available.
- No virtual/remote employment for this position. Full-time physical presence in the ACCME’s downtown Chicago office is required.
Reports to: Executive Vice President
Prepared: July 2019