We have collaborated with American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) member boards to simplify and align the Maintenance of Certification (MOC) process to better meet the needs of physicians and educators. These collaborations increase the number and diversity of accredited CME activities that meet the requirements for MOC and streamline the process for accredited CME providers and physicians. Currently, collaborations are in place with:
- American Board of Anesthesiology (ABA) MOCA
- American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) MOC
- American Board of Ophthalmology (ABO) MOC
- American Board of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery (ABOHNS) MOC
- American Board of Pathology (ABPath) Continuing Certification
- American Board of Pediatrics (ABP) MOC
CME providers are no longer required to submit MOC applications for approval to the certifying boards that are collaborating with the ACCME. Instead, accredited CME providers are able to use the ACCME Program and Activity Reporting System (PARS) to register activities for these programs. As part of this registration process, providers attest to compliance with certifying board requirements, agree to collect the required individual learner completion data and submit it via PARS, agree to abide by certifying board/ACCME requirements for use of the data, agree to allow ACCME to publish data about the activity on ACCME’s website, and agree to comply with requests for information about the activity if the activity is selected for an audit by the ACCME.
All CME providers in the ACCME System have the option—but are not required—to offer accredited CME that meets certifying board MOC or Continuing Certification program requirements. This includes state-accredited providers, providers directly accredited by the ACCME, and providers that have received Joint Accreditation for Interprofessional Continuing Education™.
Currently, collaborations are in place with the American Board of Anesthesiology (ABA), the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM), the American Board of Ophthalmology (ABO), the American Board of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery (ABOHNS), the American Board of Pathology (ABPath), and the American Board of Pediatrics (ABP).
Accredited CME providers use the ACCME Program and Activity Reporting System (PARS) to register activities for CME that counts for MOC or Continuing Certification.
As part of this registration process, providers need to:
- Attest to compliance with the MOC or Continuing Certification requirements as described in each board's program guide
- Agree to collect the required individual learner completion data and submit it via PARS
- Agree to abide by the board's and ACCME's requirements for use of the data
- Agree to allow ACCME to publish data about the activity on ACCME’s website
- Agree to comply with requests for information about the activity if the activity is selected for an audit by the ACCME.
Display Your Activities in CME Finder. We encourage you to register your activities as soon as possible, so that diplomates can find out about them. Activities registered for MOC or Continuing Certification will be displayed in CME Finder, our online CME search tool that provides a one-stop resource for physicians seeking to earn Continuing Certification or MOC credits by participating in accredited CME.
See resources below for information on registering activities.
Accredited providers are required to submit learner completion data via PARS for each activity registered as meeting each board's requirements. We encourage you to submit learner data as soon as possible after the activity is completed, so that the board can apply the credits to physicians' records. Learner data submission methods include web services, batch upload, and manual data entry.
- Learner completion data for CME that Counts for ABP MOC should be submitted to PARS by December 1. All ABP MOC learner completion data should be submitted within 30 days of activity completion, and learner data for ABP activities conducted after December 1 should be entered immediately in order to allow ABP diplomates with cycles ending that year to meet MOC requirements and re-enroll by established deadlines.
- Learner completion data for CME that Counts for ABA, ABIM, ABO, ABOHNS, and ABPath MOC and Continuing Certification should be submitted to PARS by December 31.
See the resources section below for information on submitting learner data.
Accredited providers within the ACCME System may use the relevant board's badge or logo to identify and promote CME activities that are registered for their MOC or Continuing Certification program. Use of the badge or logo is optional and may appear on any activity materials, brochures, and announcements that promote CME activities that also earn MOC or Continuing Certification credits. Accredited providers may determine the size and placement of the badge or logo; however, providers are not permitted to make changes to the badge or logo. Please see each board's page for the badge or logo and additional information on its use.
- FAQ: CME that Counts for MOC Basics
- PDF: CME for MOC Crosswalk
- Webpage: Technical Information for Submitting Data via Batch Upload or Web Services
- Tutorial: Registering CME Activities for MOC Points
- Tutorial: Submitting Learner Data in PARS for MOC
- Archived Webinar: CME that Counts for MOC
- FAQ: ACCME's Program and Activity Reporting System (PARS)