ACCME's vision is a world where our community of educators supports clinicians in delivering optimal healthcare for all.
ACCME's mission is to assure and advance quality learning for healthcare professionals that drives improvements in patient care.
The Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME®) fulfills its mission through a voluntary self-regulated system for accrediting CME providers and a peer-review process responsive to changes in medical education and the health care delivery system.
The primary responsibilities of the ACCME are to:
- Serve as the body accrediting institutions and organizations offering continuing medical education.
- Serve as the body recognizing institutions and organizations offering continuing medical education accreditation.
- Develop criteria for evaluation of both educational programs and their activities by which ACCME and state accrediting bodies will accredit institutions and organizations and be responsible for assuring compliance with these standards.
- Develop, or foster the development of, methods for measuring the effectiveness of continuing medical education and its accreditation, particularly in its relationship to supporting quality patient care and the continuum of medical education.
- Recommend and initiate studies for improving the organization and processes of continuing medical education and its accreditation.
- Review and assess developments in continuing medical education’s support of quality health.
- Review periodically its role in continuing medical education to ensure it remains responsive to public and professional needs.