"Promote Diversity and Inclusion" is one of five objectives in ACCME's 2022-2026 Strategic Plan. ACCME will reward practices that incorporate diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) into all aspects of accredited education.
- Create and support a culture of mutual respect, inclusivity, and equity at ACCME, within the community of accredited providers, and for the faculty and healthcare professionals engaged in accredited education.
- Facilitate understanding that incorporating the issues of DEI into all aspects of accredited education will benefit healthcare professionals and the patients they serve.
These resources are being shared in support of our mission to assure and advance quality learning for healthcare professionals that drives improvements in patient care.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We're here to help.
Please click this link to see a list of upcoming DEI activities listed in CME Passport.
Note that this is a dynamic link. As activities pass/are no longer available, they will not appear in the results, and as new DEI activities are added to CME Passport, they will appear in the results.
- CME Outfitters: Diversity and Inclusion Hub
- Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC): Unconscious Bias Resources for Health Professionals
- Project Implicit: Implicit Association Test (IAT)
- University of California, San Francisco: Transcript: Impact of Unconscious Bias
- ASCD: Nine Competencies for Teaching Empathy
- The Center for Building a Culture of Empathy and Compassion: Increasing Empathy
- Empathetics: Why Empathy Training?
- The Schwartz Center for Compassionate Healthcare: Yes, Empathy Can Be Taught!
- TED Talks: The Power of Empathy: Helen Riess at TEDxMiddlebury
Concrete ways that accredited providers can address DEI include (1) focusing continuing education topics and content on inequity and racism that exacerbate health disparities, (2) reflecting DEI in planners and faculty for continuing education—including patients, families, and other public representatives, and (3) ensuring that DEI variables such as social factors, affordability and access of recommended treatment, and cultural/linguistic competency are considered and addressed in continuing education.
Ethical Expectations of Physicians:
- Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC): Exploring Racism and Health: An Intensive Interactive Session for Medical Students
- American College of Physicians (ACP): American College of Physicians Ethics Manual
- Cincinnati Children's DEI Toolkit for Educators
- Equality and Human Rights Commission: Lesson Plan Ideas
- Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC): Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Competencies Across the Learning Continuum
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Anti-Racism in Continuing Education: Guidelines and Recommendations for Incorporating DEIA into Continuing Education for Healthcare Professionals
- American Hospital Association: Diversity in Health Care: Examples from the Field
- Society for Human Resource Management: How to Develop a Diversity and Inclusion Initiative
- UC Davis Health System: Excellence in People and Campus Climate
American Association of Medical Colleges (AAMC)
- Achieving excellence through equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Anti-racism in Medicine Collection
- Assessing Institutional Culture and Climate
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Competencies Across the Learning Continuum
- Enhancing Institutional Diversity through Inclusion of All Sexual Orientations and Gender Identities
- IDEAS: Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, & Anti-Racism Learning Series
- The Difference: How the Power of Diversity Creates Better Groups, Firms, Schools, and Societies
- Unconscious Bias Resources for Health Professionals
Council on Social Work Education
Harvard Medical School
Inside Higher Ed
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
Milken Institute School of Public Health; The George Washington University
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Public Health Reports
- Adopting an Anti-Racism Public Health Curriculum Competency: The University of Washington Experience
The Smithsonian Channel
University of Colorado Denver