Submitting Learner Data in PARS for MOC
This tutorial is designed to teach accredited CME providers how to upload learner information into ACCME’s Program and Activity Reporting System (PARS) for activities registered for Maintenance of Certification (MOC).
All CME providers accredited within the ACCME System already use PARS to enter data about each of their CME activities. CME providers can now also use PARS to register activities for MOC by attesting to compliance with requirements for the appropriate board. As part of registering activities in PARS MOC, providers agree to report participant data via PARS. For more information and resources, please visit CME in Support of MOC.
In order to begin reporting participants for the activities that you have registered for MOC, you must first click on the Report Participants link at the bottom of the Home tab in PARS.
Once you are in the Learner Reporting System, you will notice that your tabs have changed and the header of the page reads “Learner Reporting System for CME Providers."
You have three options for reporting your participant data in PARS: you may either 1) enter the learner data for a specific activity via a web form, 2) upload the learner data using a batch upload, or 3) utilize the ACCME PARS Web Service.
- First, make sure you are on the Activity Learner Summary tab.
- Next, use the drop-down box to select the reporting year for which you are going to report participant data.
- Once you see that the page is displaying the correct reporting year, use the filters at the top of the page to find the activity for which you would like to report learner data.
- Click in the add participants link next to the activity for which you would like to report learner data.
- This will take you to the Activity Detail page. Use the drop-down menu to select the board for which you would like to report learners.
- Click on the Add Learners Manually button.
You will now see blank fields that will you will use to input your data. Complete one line for each learner. To add a row, click on the + Add Learners Manually button. To delete a record or an extra row, click on the red X button at the end of that row. NOTE: While NPI will appear as an entry field, it is not required for MOC reporting. You may safely leave this field blank.
- Once you have added all of the learners that should receive MOC points for the activity, click on the Save button at the bottom of the page.
The information that you enter will be validated with the board’s database. If your submission is successful, you will see the new learner records appear as either Submitted or Accepted.
If any errors occurred during your submission, you will see an Error message at the bottom of the page like the one below. Correct the errors and try again. Please Note: The information in the screen shot below is only for the purposes of providing an example and is not reflective of any actual ABIM Board Certified physicians.
- Click on the Bulk Upload Learners tab.
- Click on the button for the Tab-delimited method or the XML upload, then select Next. This page also includes a link to our technical information page, which contains descriptions of each batch uploading method, instructions about the process, a template for the Tab-delimited format, and schema for the XML format.
- Click on the Choose File button and navigate to the file that you will be uploading.
- Click on the Upload File button.
If your upload is successful, you will see a message stating the number of participants added or deleted by the upload.
If any errors occurred during the upload, you will see an Error Report message at the bottom of the page like the one below. Click on the Export Errors link to see a list of the error(s). Correct the errors with your upload file and try again.
A web services is available to enable CME providers’ software applications, such as learning management systems, to submit activity and participant completion data directly to PARS. The goal of these services is to reduce the need for CME provider staff to use manual data entry or batch upload methods. To use these web services, your IT professionals will need to make modifications to your software. For more information please see the PARS Web Services section of our Technical Information web page.
The last tab in the PARS Learner Reporting System is the Learner Search tab. You can use this tab to locate the learner records for either a specific physician or for all the learners in a specific activity.
To search for a specific physician, complete the Learner Last Name field and as much of the other information as possible and then click on the Search button. Do not complete the Activity Title field.
To search for all the learners in a specific activity, fill in the Activity Title field; you can also fill in the date range, if that information would be useful for you. Then click on the Search button. You do not need to complete the Learner Last Name or Learner ID field, unless you are searching for a specific physician in a specific activity.
You must fill in at least the Leaner Last Name field, Submission Date Range OR the Activity Title field to complete a search of the records that you have entered into PARS.
If you have any questions about using the PARS Learner Reporting System, please email us at email@example.com.