All accredited CME providers in the ACCME System are responsible for complying with the Standards for Commercial Support and the policies that supplement the Standards. Your compliance is essential for maintaining your accreditation and for assuring the accountability of our system. Here are resources to help you understand and meet our expectations, if you don't find the answers to your questions or need more information, please contact email@example.com.
View Standards for Commercial Support
- Standards for Commercial Support (webpage)
- ACCME Standards for Commercial Support (PDF)
- Accreditation Requirements (PDF)
Policies Supplementing the Standards for Commercial Support
- Definition of a Commercial Interest
- Financial Relationships and Conflicts of Interest
- Disclosure of Financial Relationships to the Accredited Provider
- Commercial Support: Definition and Guidance Regarding Written Agreements
- Verbal Disclosure to Learners
- Commercial Support: Acknowledgments
- Commercial Exhibits and Advertisements
- ACCME Modifies Interpretation of Standards for Commercial Support Regarding Relevant Financial Relationships, Highlights Blog Post, 2016
Frequently Asked Questions
Examples of Compliance and Noncompliance
- Here are links to examples for the Accreditation Criteria that reference the Standards for Commercial Support:
- Overview of ACCME’s Standards for Commercial Support: Standards to Ensure Independence in CME Activities
- What is a “Commercial Interest”?
- Managing Commercial Support: Understanding Criterion 8
- What creates a Conflict of Interest?
- How can I best identify relevant financial relationships?
- Who is in control of CME Content?
- What are relevant financial relationships?
Tips and Tools
- Compliance Reminder: Identifying and Resolving Conflicts of Interest for CME Planners, Highlights Blog Post, 2017
- ACCME Offers Guidance for CME Providers Related to Revised Industry Codes in Europe and Asia, Highlights Blog Post, 2017
- Flowchart for the Identification and Resolution of Personal Conflicts of Interest, Publication, 2017
- Using ACCME’s Flowchart for Identifying and Resolving Personal Conflicts of Interest, Tutorial, 2017
- Dealing with Controversial Topics in Your CME Program, Highlights Blog Post, 2017
- Message from the CEO: Strategies and Reminders for Ensuring Compliance with the Standards for Commercial Support, Highlights Blog Post, 2016
- Letter from the CEO: Strategies and Reminders for Ensuring Compliance with the Standards for Commercial Support, Letter from Graham McMahon, MD, MMSc, President and CEO, ACCME, 2016
- Sample Letter to Identify Relevant Financial Relationships (Form Embedded) (Word Document)
- Sample Letter of Expectations Following Faculty Disclosure to Provider (Word Document)
News and Publications
- Is There a Relationship between Commercial Support and Bias in Continuing Medical Education Activities? An Updated Literature Review, Report Commissioned by ACCME, 2014
- “Accreditation Rules Safeguard Continuing Medical Education from Commercial Influence,” Letter to the Editor by Graham McMahon, MD, MMSc, President and CEO, ACCME, Published by Journal of Medical Ethics