Here are additional resources to support accredited CME providers that choose to design education to address the goals of the FDA Extended-Release and Long-Acting Opioid Analgesics Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy (REMS). For more information please see CME in Support of REMS.
- Accredited Prescriber Education in Support of REMS: ACCME Presentation at FDA Standardizing and Evaluating REMS Public Meeting, July 25-26, 2013
- Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategies: Developing REMS (CE) in Alignment with the Standards for Commercial Support: Presentation by representatives from the ACCME, the FDA, and AstraZeneca at the Alliance for Continuing Education in the Health Professions Annual Meeting, January 2012
- ACCME Accredited Continuing Education as a Strategic Asset to REMS: ACCME presentation at the Anesthetic and Life Support Drugs Advisory Committee and Drug Safety and Risk Management Advisory Committee, July 22, 2010
Murray Kopelow, MD, ACCME President and CEO, describes the role of accredited continuing health care education in supporting this important public health initiative.
- Accredited CE and the FDA Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy (REMS) for Opioid Analgesics
- CME and the Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy (REMS) for Opioid Medications
In a three-part video interview, How CME Can Address the Prescription Drug Abuse Epidemic, David K. Mineta, Deputy Director of Demand Reduction, Office of National Drug Control Policy, provides a brief overview of the prescription drug abuse problem; discusses screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment (SBIRT) as a topic for physician education; and describes specific approaches that accredited CME providers can incorporate in their activities to support proper prescribing and effective referral to treatment.
News Releases and Highlights
- ACCME Participates in FDA REMS Meetings; Compiles REMS Fact Sheet, August 27, 2013
- FDA Releases REMS for Extended-Release/Long-Acting Opioids, August 28, 2012
- ACCME Featured on Reach MD Radio, April 27, 2012
- ACCME Presents at ACEHP Annual Conference, January 23, 2012
- MedBiquitous Annual Conference Includes Presentation about ER/LA Opioid Analgesics REMS, April 25, 2013
- Continuing Education in Opioid Prescribing, JAMA, A Letter from Murray Kopelow, MD, ACCME President and Chief Executive, December 18, 2012
- ACCME Presents at Fifth Annual PACME Summit, May 31, 2012
- ACCME to Assist Providers Addressing Prescription Drug Abuse Through Accredited CME and FDA REMS, April 21, 2011
- Accreditation Council for CME Provides Input for FDA's REMS Initiatives, August 12, 2010
- ACCME Chief Executive Murray Kopelow, MD, Appointed Special Advisor to White House ONDCP, September 10, 2009